Zonta USA is sharing a recording of ICRW’s webinar on Child Marriage in North Carolina from Sept. 4, 2020.
International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)
“If you didn’t have an opportunity to attend, I encourage you to listen to the recording. I found the entire session very informative; however, Donna Pollard, member of the Zonta Club of Louisville, also shared her personal story of being forced to marry as a teenager. I know some of you have already heard her story, but if you haven’t, please take a few minutes to listen. Her story is very powerful, and she is a real champion for ending child marriage in the United States.” – Megan R. Zonta
Media Coverage: North Carolina is becoming a destination for child marriage (opinion)
“Late last year, a 49 year-old man and a 17 year-old girl from Kentucky came into my office to request a marriage license. They had read online that North Carolina had the loosest laws in the South for child marriage. Their home state of Kentucky, like a growing number of states, had restricted marriage rights to legal adults in 2018. So, they came to us to get married.
Studies have shown that girls who get married before they become adults experience higher rates of domestic violence, food insecurity, and other negative health outcomes in their lifetime. When I realized that North Carolina is tied with Alaska as the two states that have set by statute the lowest age of marriage—14 years old in cases of pregnancy—I contacted the International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) to request help compiling data to understand how much or little this was actually happening.” https://www.citizen-times.com/story/opinion/2020/09/02/nc-becoming-destination-child-marriage-help-me-stop-opinion/5690355002/
- OPINION: NC is becoming a destination for child marriage. Help me stop it, by Buncombe County Register of Deeds Drew Reisinger, Asheville Citizen-Times
- An outdated NC law has allowed thousands of minors to marry. Change it to protect children, by ICRW’s Lyric Thompson and Tahirih Justice Center’s Casey Carter Swegman, The News & Observer
- Report Names North Carolina A Top Child Marriage Hotspot, Spectrum New 1 coverage
- ‘A sanctuary state for statutory rape’: Group wants to end child marriage in NC, WBTW News 13 coverage
- ICRW (featuring reports)
- Tahirih Justice Center (featuring work on child marriage)
- NC Department of Administration
- NC Council for Women and Youth Involvement
- Survivors’ Corner